When your Shopify store finds itself ranked at the top of Google, your prospects should be pretty high. Your Shopify store isn’t going to get there on its own. It’s going to take some work on your part to get there.
You probably have a basic understanding of how SEO works. When it comes to Shopify SEO, the key to a robust search engine rank that will drive organic traffic to your store is to write excellent product descriptions and optimize your content.
Once you have completed your keyword research, the next crucial step in Shopify SEO is to craft the correct titles and meta descriptions, which is more than just using the right keywords.
This article will serve as a guide for how to write the best Shopify meta titles and descriptions.
To do that, however, we need to start with the basics.
Meta Descriptions Defined
To fully understand meta descriptions, consider this simple example.
Each time you search for an item using Google, you type it in and press the “Google Search” button, and you are directed to the Google Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
The results displayed on Google’s SERPs are called meta tags. These meta tags have two parts:
- A “title tag,” which is essentially just a title, 70 characters or less, in blue, appears at the top of the result.
- A “meta description,” appears just below the title and describes the result in 320 characters or less.
Why You Need Exceptional Meta Titles and Descriptions
There are two main reasons why exceptional meta titles and descriptions are an essential aspect of any Shopify store:
- Meta titles and descriptions are one example of the many factors that can help major search engines understand what your page is about and ultimately display it in relevant search results.
- Well-crafted titles and descriptions will help influence clicks on SERPs.
Why are these clicks so important? Search engines use these click-through rates as one of the ways that they rank website pages. Therefore, you must use highly-relevant, descriptive, appealing words in your meta titles and meta descriptions, enticing search engine users to click through.
Characteristics of Exceptional Meta Tags
Think of meta tags like the sales copy. Meta descriptions should concisely represent your site’s content appealingly, drawing in the reader.
- Keywords are essential, but you should avoid “stuffing.” Let your keywords blend with the content so that it reads naturally.
- Never attempt to mislead the search engines with deceptive meta titles and descriptions. A search engine has enough intelligence to determine whether or not the meta tags you use genuinely represent the content of your website.
- Stay withing meta tag character limits. The meta title limitation is 70 characters. The limit on a meta description is 320 characters.
- Avoid any duplicate meta titles or descriptions on your pages. Having duplicate meta tags across multiple website pages can hurt your search engine rank.
Crafting the Best Shopify Store Meta Titles and Meta Descriptions
When it comes to Shopify stores, typically, your most important SEO pages are going to be the following:
- your Shopify Homepage
- your Shopify Collection pages
- your Shopify Product pages
This next section will explain, in detail, how to create exceptional meta titles and descriptions for each of these different Shopify store pages.
Crafting Your Shopify Home Page Meta Title and Description
You want your Shopify homepage meta title and description to offer users an accurate description of your Shopify store clearly and concisely. Write your homepage title and description to grab the reader’s attention while capturing your unique selling proposition.
Say, for example, that your store sells handmade clothing. There will likely be several hundred Shopify stores out there selling the exact same products. A strong meta title and description will be necessary for you to stick out in the crowd.
Creating Your Shopify Home Page Meta Title
Your Shopify homepage meta title must convey:
- brand name
- what the store is all about
- what makes your store unique
Your meta title may read something like this:
NOMAD: Unique handmade clothing with a distinctly urban feel
Let’s dissect this example and find the three main parts outlined above.
- Brand name: In this example, the first part of the title is our brand name, which is NOMAD.
- What the store is about: In this example, the next part of the title describes what this store is all about, which is “unique handmade clothing.”
- What makes the store unique: In this example, the third part describes what makes the store unique. In this case, the clothing has a “distinctly urban feel.”
Of course, there are many different ways that you can create the meta title, and you do not have to follow the same format. There are many ways that you can write this title, such as:
Unique Handmade Clothing with a Distinctly Urban Feel – NOMAD
Or like this:
NOMAD | Distinct Handmade Clothing with a Unique Urban Feel
Creating Your Home Page Meta Description
Your Shopify home page meta description must have the following components:
- a more detailed description about the store and brand
- targeted keywords used in a natural fashion
- targeted keywords should appear in the initial 160 characters
- a great call to action
Your meta description may look something like this:
NOMAD.com is an online store selling handmade and handcrafted apparel and accessories for men and women Buy handcrafted shirts & jackets, scarves & stoles, and other urban fashions at NOMAD.com
As you can see in this example, we are clearly stating what the Shopify store is all about, and we used the target keywords appropriately throughout the description. When the result is displayed on search engine results pages, those search keywords will be emphasized in bold to help attract the reader’s attention.
Crafting Your Shopify Collection Pages Meta Titles and Descriptions
Your Shopify store’s collection pages offer you the most search engine optimization potential. That is why it is crucial that you carefully craft your collection pages’ meta titles and descriptions.
Creating Your Shopify Collection Page Meta Title
Your meta title must convey precisely what your collection is about. It should be presented clearly and concisely.
Shop for His and Hers Matching Bathrobes – 30% Off | NOMAD
Shop from our massive collection of high-quality cotton, flannel, silk, his and hers matching bathrobes. Flannel Hooded His and Hers Bathrobes, Women’s Robes, Winter Dressing Gowns for Women and Men, Female Nightgowns, Kimono Robes, Home Clothes, Flannel His and Her Bathrobes, Women’s Robes Winter
In this example, the URL clearly states that this collection features His and Hers Matching Bathrobes. The title reflects the nature of the collection, the discount offered in the title (“30% Off”) helps to attract more clicks. The title also contains our brand name.
Creating Your Shopify Collection Page Meta Description
The Shopify collection page’s meta description should give more detail about your collection and include:
- more information about this collection
- the different products that are available in this collection
- the collection’s unique selling proposition
Here is another example:
Handmade Silver Jewelry Designs and Silver Accessories | NOMAD
This is our current collection of designer hand made silver jewelry. It includes handmade silver earrings, silver necklaces and pendants, silver bracelets and bangles. Each unique design is individually hand-finished to the same standard as our handmade gold jewelry.
In this meta description example, “hand-made silver jewelry” is our product category. Our meta description is written to clearly convey the various types of hand-made jewelry offered (necklaces, pendants, earrings, etc.), and our unique selling point is clear as well, “hand-finished” and “unique design.”
Crafting Your Shopify Product Pages Meta Titles and Descriptions
It is a bit more challenging to optimize product pages to appear in the search results unless you have an incredibly unique product offering and lots of page content. However, you should still optimize your Shopify product pages, and the best way to do that is through Long Tail Keywords (LTKs).
When you optimize your products’ titles and descriptions using LTKs, you offer more specific information that can narrow down search results, closing the gap between you and your competition. For example, a short tail keyword would be “women’s nightgown.” An example of a long-tail keyword would be “red sheer women’s nightgown size xs.”
Creating Your Shopify Product Page Meta Title
In the title, you want to be specific about the product that is being offered. Think of it in the same way you would describe it, using 70 characters, to a customer who walked into a brick-and-mortar shop.
Women’s Winter Comfy Flannel Robe Size XS Blue | NOMAD
Women’s Winter Flannel Pajama, Size XS, Blue with White Polka Dots, Super Comfy, $49.99, ON SALE! Use coupon code: COMFY at check-out for 10% Off. The size is an XS. The color is Blue…
This title conveys an accurate description of the product with our shop name. There is no need for you to include a product price, as you might with other ecommerce stores, because Shopify’s unique coding structure is set up so that Google can pick up the product’s price and display it separately. That gives you room for more characters in your title.
Creating Your Shopify Product Page Meta Description
You may want to consider including the following information in the product page meta description:
- product variants
- specifications that customers might be looking for
- the unique selling point
- benefits of and possible ways to use the product
- important keywords
Meta titles and meta descriptions are an essential part of any Shopify store. While it may take some time for you to get the hang of coming up with the correct meta tags, be patient. Eventually, you will get it right if you use the handy tips outlined in this article.
As a final pro tip, we suggest coming up with several drafts before you finally settle on the proper meta titles and descriptions for your Shopify store SEO.